Italy to start recovery operations of migrant bodies from Mediterranean shipwreck
As announced by the Italian government in the earlier months, the operations to salvage a shipwrecked migrant boat that sank in the Strait of Sicily with an estimated 800 asylum seekers on board started on April 18, 2016 exactly one year after what was one of the worst maritime disasters in the Mediterranean.
Italian investigators said at the time of the disaster that they estimated 850 people were on board the migrant boat when it sank after ramming into a cargo ship. "The rescue operation will be coordinated by the Navy and will last a couple of days. So far we recovered 169 bodies and we estimate about 400 remain in the boat" said government commissioner Vittorio Piscitelli at an interior ministry press conference.
On Monday April 18, authorities started to recover the wreck from the seabed and dragged it to the NATO base near the Sicilian port of Augusta, where they will start the extraction and identification of the bodies.